Welcome back to the second half of the spring term, Year 5! The good news is that we will all be able to return to school from the 8th March. We are all looking forward to having everyone in classes teaching you face-to-face, letting you socialise with the others in your year group and generally moving towards ‘normal’ school life again.
Half term sounded busy for lots of you – walking, cycling, dance exams, board game marathons and virtual sleepovers being just a few of the things we’ve heard about. You’ve come back to learning with renewed eagerness and there has been some amazing work produced already. Please see below just a snippet of the amazing work that has gone on so far.
A few reminders:
The last 3 chapters of Dolphin Boy have been uploaded on Teams for you to listen to. Lots of people have been enjoying Mrs Porter’s story time and have become totally immersed in the text.
Talking of stories… the epic St Peter’s Bedtime Stories is back! From Thursday 25th there will be a new bedtime story every evening saved onto the blog. (KS2 bedtime stories) The links will also be on the St Peter’s Facebook page, so you can access the stories in a variety of ways. We uploaded the links to Teams for yesterday’s bedtime story too.
There are multiplication and arithmetic tasks set, for you to complete on Sumdog. This went live yesterday and you have until midday next Thursday (4th March) to complete the tasks.
P.E. will be next Thursday 4th March, for those of you in school. You will need to wear your P.E. kit that day.
Please keep working through your Year 5 Must Read books as well as continuing with your spring term Reading Passport.
Enjoy the weekend – it looks like the sun will be out, temperature’s are up and England take on Wales in the Six Nations,
The Year 5 Team
Well done to you all for again sending in some great pieces of home learning. We continue to have amazing writing about the inspirational life of Harriet Tubman, marvellous problem solving using data in Maths, jaffa cake moon phases, Space creative home tasks, creating coding sequences using Dance Party, reflections in our PDL and RE work and exploring the setting in the opening of Macbeth. Please continue to email your brilliant artwork to Mrs Pearson, who will put them on to the art blog – you may need to scroll down some way to find your piece as there has been so many fabulous pieces sent in.
Inset Day tomorrow (Friday 12th February) so no work is set and there will be no video calls. Children can use this day to finish any work that they haven’t completed, if they wish. Please ensure that the English writing task for this week (Setting description for the opening of Macbeth) is uploaded as this is an assessment piece to see how the children have progressed during this lockdown period.
Don’t forget to keep adding to the children’s MOON DIARIES with the different phases. If it is cloudy, you have the website www.moonphases.co.uk to access to see each daily moon phases to complete your diary over the month of February.
New term begins Monday 22nd February with online learning and for those pupils in school that week – PE day will be Wednesday 24th February.
Please find below a wide variety of work that has been sent in from last week:
Have a restful and safe half – term break and we look forward to seeing you on Monday 22nd February.
The Year 5 Team
Well done to you all for sending in some stunning pieces of home learning. We continue to have amazing work about the solar system sent in as well as ‘recipe’ poems inspired by Benjamin Zephaniah. Biographies written about Harriet Tubman were well written and demonstrated her inspirational qualities. Please continue to email your brilliant artwork to Mrs Pearson, who will put them on to the art blog – you may need to scroll down some way to find your piece as there has been so many fabulous pieces sent in.
Please find below a wide variety of work that has been sent in:
We really appreciate the effort you are all putting into the home learning – children and parents/ carers alike – it’s not easy to be away from the classroom, constant teaching input and friends or to be supporting your child while also having to work from home yourselves. Maintaining routines and work will certainly support the transition back to school, once we are all allowed to return. Thank you for your continued support.
PE for next week is on Thursday 11th February only.
Sumdog has been set, with a multiplication task and an arithmetic task. It’s good to keep times tables and mental arithmetic ticking over. This is due on Thursday 11th February.
Please ensure this is still being completed as it will help keep knowledge of multiplication facts ticking over and is a good way of keeping skills taught in mind.
**Reminder – it is a scheduled INSET day on Friday 12th February.
Children who are currently in school will not need to attend that day; there will be no work set on Teams and there will be no class video calls that day. Enjoy a long weekend leading into the half term break!
The reminders when working on Teams:
- Even if you are working through the Oaks videos, you must record all your answers. (In a book, on paper, on a word document, powerpoint – however you want to record it.) All the support and challenge tasks are on word documents and you can record your answers on those as well.
- Please ask your child to check the POSTS section as that is where we will post additional information or videos for your child to access.
- If you cannot access the work via the ASSIGNMENTS tab, go to the FILEStab and find the work in the January 2021 folder.
- Next week each work documents will be saved in a Word and PDF format to ensure that all children can access their learning from a variety of devices. If you cannot open the Word document then please try the PDF version.
- Please try to check in at least once a day on a class video call.
- Class chat is for work purposes not for sending messages or emojis to each other – all your chat conversations are visible to staff and chat notifications can be very distracting for children who are trying to concentrate on their work.
- English and Maths will be uploaded daily.
- Foundation subjects will have four days of work uploaded on Monday. There will be four subjects/tasks over Monday – Thursday. Use Friday afternoon to catch up on any work you have missed during the week.
- We only need ONE photo/ uploaded piece of work per day for English and Maths.
- English and Maths should be uploaded by 12 noon on Friday and Foundation subjects should be uploaded by 3pm on Friday.
- If you have any technical issues with Teams that you are finding hard to fix, please phone the office and they can support you to resolve these. Issues with broadband – unfortunately we cannot resolve these problems in terms of making Teams work on your device. Thank you for your understanding.
- Remember to save the Word doc/ PDF to your device before you overwrite/ add to the document otherwise you will save your changes to the main folder on Teams and the work is then lost for others to use.
As in previous weeks, next week, you may not receive a message back from your teacher immediately as we are also teaching children who are in the classroom at the same time. We will respond to work sent by the end of the week.
No formal work will be set for Friday afternoons – please use this time to finish any incomplete work.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Year 5 Team