We hope that you have all been having a good week so far and keeping safe.
On Tuesday 17th November 2020, Year 4 took part in a charity fundraiser day for the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association. The children wore a creative selection of colourful, bright head wear in order to raise awareness for those who suffer from visual impairment. The children had a wonderful day of workshops, group work and videos and are now able to describe how a guide dog is trained at puppy school. Thank you for all of your generous donations, we have now raised over £40 which shall be donated to sponsor a guide dog! Please see the pictures below from our charity fundraiser day…
In English, the children have been learning how to create explanatory sentences using causal and subordinating conjunctions. We have been very impressed by the children’s use of scientific key words from our States of Matter learning, in order to help them explain how to care for a snowman as part of their Health and Safety leaflet. Well done Year Four! Next week, we look forward to planning, creating and drafting our leaflets and putting them on display in the school office.
In Maths, we have been working hard on our learning for multiplication and division. The children have been taught a variety of strategies for solving a complex multi step problem, e.g. number lines, part whole models, bar models, arrays and grid methods.Next week, we look forward to continuing our learning on division strategies before we move towards learning about fractions, numerators and denominators. Please do log on to your My Maths and Sumdog accounts, for plenty of practise learning on this.
Just a few reminders for next week:
- Parents Evening on Monday 23rd November and Wednesday 25th November (both from 4 – 6.20pm). Your child will bring home their Parents evening target sheets on Friday 20th November 2020. These forms shall form part of our discussions during the 10 minute appointments.
- Children to wear their PE kits to school on Monday please
- Spelling home learning and Reading journals due for collection on Thursday 26th November
- Please remind your child to complete their Reading Passports as soon as possible
We hope you all have a great weekend,
Miss Honeywell, Miss Jackson-Nash and Mrs Cairns.
We hope that you’ve all had a good week so far and are keeping well.
This week in English the children finished publishing their fact files on their created spiders. We were blown away with the quality of their writing. Within their fact files the children wrote about their spider’s anatomy, attack and defence, weaving their webs and even made their own top trump fact box! This week was the start of a new unit looking at Raymond Brigg’s Snowman. We started off the week with making our own snowmen!
We will be continuing to explore The Snowman text and focus on using inference skill. We will also be developing our rich vocabulary to use in our final outcome that is a leaflet in how to care for your snowman.
In Maths this week we started a new unit on multiplications. Here the children explored and deconstructed a multistep problem and identified strategies that would help them solve the question. Next week, we will continue to explore multiplication strategies to help us unpick problems and multiply larger digits (35 x 6).
Just a few quick reminders:
- Please send your children in their PE kits on Thursday for CM sports.
- On Tuesday 17th November 2020 Year 4 will be taking part in Heads Up for Guide Dogs charity fundraiser. Please send your children in wearing something bright on their head or shoulders. £1 donations are recommended and you can donate on Scopay. Please ensure your child comes to school in their school uniform with something colour. This is not a non-school uniform day.
- Thank you for those who have completed their My maths and Sumdog homework. Just less than half the year did access the homework. Please continue using these platforms as we carefully select tasks that link with their maths learning at school. If you have any issues accessing these sites, do not hesitate to ask us and we will be happy to help you.
- Virtual Parent’s evening will be taking place from Monday 23rd November, if you have not booked into a slot then please contact the office.
- Thank you for bringing and donating materials for our DT project. We are still collecting bits in so if you have any loo rolls or materials to make torches, we would most appreciate them.
Keep up the brilliant work Koalas and Kangaroos. We hope you all have a lovely weekend and look forward to seeing you all next week.
Miss Jackson-Nash, Miss Honeywell and Mrs Cairns
We hope that you are all well and that you are having a good week so far.
In English, Year Four have created an excellent set of Spider Non Chronological Reports. We look forward to collating them and creating a spooky book as a gift for each of the Year Four classes. In Maths, we have been learning about perimeter and how to calculate the total distance around the outside of shapes. We have also been converting measurements between mm, cm and m, using a place value grid. Can you have a go at taking some measurements at home? Which equipment could you use to help you? What would the measurement be in… mm, cm, m, km?
Please see the list below for a few quick reminders for next week:
- Please ensure your child is wearing their PE kit to school on Monday. They shall be taking part in a PE session with their class teacher on the school field.
- Thank you to everyone who has brought in their resources for making our D&T torches. Please continue to bring in any toilet rolls, decorations, tin foil, etc.
- Spelling / Vocabulary home learning books to be handed in on Thursday 12th November 2020. We will not be collecting in Reading Home Learning Journals as these shall be marked on a two weekly basis.
- Quick reminder: Individual School Photos shall take place on Thursday 12th November 2020. Please ensure your child remembers to bring their jumpers and cardigans.
- Just a brief note to say that we were disappointed to see only a very small number of children logging in to use their Sumdog accounts last week. The tasks set on here and on our other online learning platforms (My Maths, Times Table Rockstars) have been carefully selected to support the children across their curriculum learning. Please do not hesitate to contact us if your child has misplaced any of their logins, we are very happy to help.
We hope that you all have a lovely weekend,
Miss Honeywell, Miss Jackson-Nash and Mrs Cairns