We hope that you are all having a lovely week so far.
Today, we took part in the Big Anti Bullying Assembly 2020. The children watched an online assembly which discussed bullying, the various forms it could take, and who to speak to when there is a problem. Both classes learnt a lot about the types of bullying and how to help someone who is feeling unhappy at school.
In English, we have been learning about our new text, The Tin Forest. The children have enjoyed playing ‘spot the difference’ and matching activities, to learn new vocabulary including the names and actions of different tools that can be used to make mechanical animals. We also created an emotion graph to explore how the main character’s feelings change across the course of the story – the children were very successful when they used evidence from the text to support their point of view.
In Maths, we have been continuing our work on number and place value. In particular, we have started to learn about addition and subtraction. Today, the children were given a Tin Forest problem to explore as a group – they enjoyed using Maths tools such as place value counters, to add, subtract and exchange different amounts. We also discussed a new class problem, using ‘think aloud’ to annotate what we noticed… the children were curious to find that they had been given the answer but had to use the inverse and work backwards to solve the challenge.
Please remind your children to bring in their spelling and home reading journals tomorrow. They will also need to arrive in their school PE kit for a session with CM sports. Please do not forget that we have an Inset day on Friday 2nd October 2020.
We hope you all have a peaceful weekend,
Miss Honeywell, Miss Jackson-Nash and Mrs Cairns
We hope you are all keeping well.
Here is a quick reminder of the homework your child will need to complete:
- Sumdog is live with activities on number and place value.
- Reading passports have gone home and need to be started.
- Our fortnightly reading reviews in our yellow book journals are due on Thursday.
- Spelling and vocabulary homework are due on Thursday.
- Please remind your child to wear their PE kits to school on Thursday.
This week the children have worked really hard on their curriculum learning. In English we have been creating setting descriptions for a winter wonderland. Please check out some excellent examples from each class below:
In Maths we have been looking at rounding to the nearest 10’s and 100’s. Next week we will start to explore addition with 4 digits using formal written methods. We have also used the following link to practise our times tables, why not have a go at home? https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/477/Multiplication-Tables-Check
We are really looking forward to our Black history month afternoon session on Thursday next week. In this session will shall be discussing family traditions, celebrations and beliefs.
We hope you all have a lovely weekend and stay safe,
Miss Jackson-Nash, Miss Honeywell and Mrs Cairns
It has been another busy week in Year 4 and we cannot wait to tell you what the children have been up to. For example on Tuesday 15th we celebrated our Year 4 Liturgy which was all about coronavirus and how we can show prayers of gratitude and spread hope during such a difficult time. We explored the story of Noah’s Ark and the symbol of the rainbow as being a sign of promise. The children enjoyed sharing their prayers of gratitude for our unsung heroes and their promises they made for the future.
Here is the homework your child needs to be working on at the moment:
- Spelling and Vocabulary homework in their red books (this needs to be completed by Thursday)
- Remember to keep reading your books at home and to fill in a book review in your reading journal when you are ready (you can be as creative as you like and we would like you to hand them in by Thursday 1st October 2020). Remember your book reviews can just be based on a chapter.
- Your child has been given a homework diary, please check out the introductory pages and the last few pages at the back of the diary.
Please remember to send your child in their PE kits on Monday 21st September 2020.
We look forward to seeing you all next week,
Miss Jackson-Nash, Miss Honeywell and Mrs Cairns
Welcome back to St Peters, we hope you’ve all been keeping well. Thank you for your patience as the school adapts to new routines. Just a quick few reminders for you this week :
- Please check out welcome meeting on this link. This presentations provides information on home learning expectations and new updates for you to be aware of in Year 4. Welcome information video for Year 4 parents
- Home work for this week is for children to complete their front page of their home reading journals and begin to look into the 6 must reads.
- PE is on Thursday next week with CM sports.
- Additional homework will be set as of next week. We appreciate that the children will need time to adapt to routine and settle into Year 4 and we do not wish to overload families with homework information on the first week back.
- Thank you for those who have worked hard on their summer holiday learning. Feel free to bring them in next week. Our homework hand in day is on Thursdays.
Take care and best wishes,
Miss Jackson-Nash, Miss Honeywell and Mrs Cairns.