I’m sure most of you have heard of TikTok, the social media platform which has grown in popularity over the last year or so excessively. TikTok does have a minimum user age of 13 which we of course agree is appropriate and advise that you follow, however we are aware that a lot of children do access TikTok.
With this in mind, I would like to highlight a fantastic feature called Family Pairing. TikTok joined forces with Internet Matters in their research to create and release the Family Pairing feature earlier this year. This feature lets parents link their TikTok account to their family members to enable a variety of new content and privacy settings. Implementing new features like this ensures that the app is right for the whole family.
Using the Family Pairing feature can allow parents to guide their child’s TikTok experience in a way that covers how they browse for content and how they interact with others. Some of the features include:
- Search: Decide what can be searched for. This includes content, users, hashtags, or sounds
- Screen Time Management: Sets how long your child can spend on TikTok each day
- Restricted Mode: Limit the appearance of content that may be inappropriate in your child’s feed
- Comments: Decide who can comment on videos (everyone, friends, no one)
- Discoverability: Decide on the account being private (you decide who can see their content) or public (anyone can search and view content)
- Liked Videos: Decide whether others can see the list of videos your teen has liked
- Direct Messages: Turn off direct messaging completely.
If your child is just starting to experience apps such as TikTok, then using features such as Family Pairing will gradually settle them in whilst allowing you to stay in control. As well as this, it will educate and encourage the family to consider how important online safety is on social media platforms.
If you implement the feature yourself, you can remove it when you feel your child is old enough to have the full experience. They may even choose to continue using the Family Pairing feature themselves. Despite how you choose to use it, creating online safety awareness for the whole family is an important step forward in any household!
CLICK HERE for the easy steps to set up Family Pairing.